- Instagram will exceed 1 billion users worldwide in 2020.
- This growth is largely due to increased screen time and ecommerce activity.
- Insider Intelligence analyzes this industry and several others to provide in-depth analyst reports, proprietary forecasts, customizable charts, and more. Learn more about what we offer.
Instagram will exceed 1 billion users worldwide by the end of 2020, a milestone we previously hadn't anticipated it to reach until 2023. This additional growth is largely driven by the pandemic—we had expected the user base to grow by 8.4% year over year before the pandemic, but we have now adjusted our estimate to 22.9%.
The two main pandemic-related drivers are increased screen time and an influx of ecommerce activity. Naturally, as people stayed at home during lockdowns, social media platforms saw increased usage, as they provide a way to stay connected. Additionally, Instagram (alongside parent company Facebook) benefited from the increase in ecommerce activity: With brick-and-mortar stores closed, many businesses turned to social media to connect with customers and even sell products through the platforms.
Facebook actively courted such activity, rolling out Shops across Facebook and Instagram earlier this year, which in turn has helped drive both retailers and customers to its platforms. Though global user growth will slow to 7.3% next year as physical stores reopen and social media usage returns to normal, we're expecting Instagram to keep most of the new users it added this year.
Want to read more stories like this one? Here's how you can gain access:
- Join other Insider Intelligence clients who receive this Briefing, along with other Media, Advertising, & Marketing forecasts, briefings, charts, and research reports to their inboxes each day. >> Become a Client
- Explore related topics more in depth. >> Browse Our Coverage
Current subscribers can access the entire Insider Intelligence content archive here.
Source: Read Full Article