On May 13, Etheridge revealed on social media that her 21-year-old son had died from opioid addiction when she shared the news in an emotional Twitter post.
Now the "Come to My Window" crooner also revealed that she "can't help to feel responsible" for her son — who was first introduced to painkillers after he broke his ankle during a snowboarding incident — but notes that she did "everything she can."
"As a parent, you know your children have their own lives and make their own choices — but you just can't help to feel responsible, of course, for them," she said. "When you see one start to struggle, you go through so many things. You go through the, 'What can I do to help them?' You go through the, 'Wait, I'm doing too much, I don't want to enable this.' They need to find themselves, they need to fall to get back up."
Etheridge is also ready to bring awareness to the dangers of drug use and addiction and honor her son and his life by helping to fund research programs through the Etheridge Foundation.
"I'm very intense about raising funds for research into what we can do with this disease," Etheridge said. "This scourge that takes so many of our young people every day."
If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction, please contact the SAMHSA substance abuse helpline at 1-800-662-HELP.
Source: Read Full Article